Church of San Frediano in Cestello
Related Topics:

Cuculia - Ristorante Libreria: The poetry of cooking, the love of reading: an open page on the world of culinary tradition and innovation.

Da i' Conte Diladdarno: A cosy and typical Trattoria in San Frediano, the most traditionally Florentine neighborhood.

Fili Folli: Fili Folli, between Piazza Santo Spirito and Piazza del Carmine, offers haberdashery, underwear and clothing repairs.

Hotel Relais Il Cestello: Hotel *** panoramic view on Arno river and Cestello Church.

Momo Vintage: Momo Vintage: Vintage Clothing and Accessories from all over the world.

Ostello Santa Monaca: Youth hostel, two steps away from Piazza del Carmine.

Residenza il Carmine: Holiday apartments two steps away from the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine.

Brancacci Chapel
Bridge alla Carraia
Church of Santa Maria del Carmine
Gate of San Frediano

 

Tourist informations
Entrance from: Piazza di Cestello.
Opening hours: Holydays: 10-11.30AM; 5-6PM; Working days: 9-11.30AM; 4.30-5.30PM.
Admission ticket: Free.

San Frediano in Cestello is one of the many important churches of Florence whose façade was left unfinished; it is among the best examples of Florentine architecture of the late Baroque.

History - In the spotlight

 History


The church stands on the place of the monastery of Santa Maria degli Angeli, founded in 1450 and since 1628 owned by the Cistercense monks, who ordered in that year architect Gherardo Silvani to build the church.
The original design saw the façade of the church on the southern side, towards Borgo San Frediano and the Oltrarno, but the Cistercense monks preferred the façade to be built on the northern side towards the Arno and the city, and commissioned Antonio Cerruti to build the church following these directions. The new construction begun in 1680 and ended in 1689, when Antonio Ferri completed the dome. The façade was never carryed out and remained uncompleted.
In 1783 the convent was closed and transformed in the Archiepiscopal Seminary, which is still active today.

Click to enlarge pictures.

Top of Page

 In the spotlight


The interior of the church is characterized by the brightness resulting from the hell plaster and from the light entering from the big windows on the tambour under the dome.
The dome is decorated with frescoes depicting scenes of the Glory of Saint Magdalena (by Anton Domenico Gabbiani) and the Virtues (by Matteo Bonechi).
The chapels on the sides show stuccos and frescoes by great artists of the time, among them: Matteo Bonechi, Alessandro Gherardini and Antonio Puglieschi. In the third chapel on the left one can see a wooden statue from the 13th-14th Century, the so-called Smiling Madonna.
In the transept: on the left, Crucifixion and Saints by Jacopo del Sellaio (1442) and on the right the altar-piece by Francesco Curradi depicting the Glorified Madonna and Saints.

Top of Page

« Previous | Index for Quarter of San Frediano | Next »

Home Page | Bookmark this Page | Send this Page
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Copyright © 1999-2019 Niji.Net
About this Website | Contact us