The Gate of San Frediano is one of the five Gates still to be found in Oltrarno and has mantained its original wooden leafs.
This Gate was constructed between 1332 and 1334 on the important route leading to Pisa, and its design is ascribed to Andrea Pisano. The Gate of San Frediano was part of the sixth city walls, which was built in the period 1284-1333 and included all other Gates located on this side of the river. Also this gate was originally much higher, but in 16th Century was cropped down in order to make it less vulnerable to artillery attacks.
Click to enlarge pictures.
On the northern side is still to be found a part of the city walls, which was almost completely destroyed during the reorganisation of Florence in the time it was capital of Italy (1865-1870).
In the spotlight
On the side towards the interior of the city, over the bow, one can see a stone Coat of Arms of Florence.
Very interesting are the wooden, original Leafs and the Wrought-iron Rings once used for "parking" horses on the outer sides, where are also some Wrought-iron Torch Holders.