Da The Gate of San Niccolò is located near the river Arno; from here begin the so-called rampe, the monumental staircases leading to the famous Piazzale Michelangelo.
The Gate of San Niccolò was built in 1324 as a part of the sixth city walls; along with the tower on the other side of the Arno, it had to guard the river. Among all the Gates of Florence this is the only which has never been cropped down.
The building is well mantained and has been partly restored around 1950.
Click to enlarge pictures.
In the spotlight
On the inner side are visible three large arches with the rooms where garrison soldiers were stationed. At the ground floor, in the lunette over the door, is a fresco depicting a Madonna with Jesus and Saints (14th Century).